September 3, 2008

Vice Documentary on the Sudan

This is just a documentary on the Sudan that was done by some staff over at Vice magazine. In conjuntion with Maw Book's Blogging for Darfur, I watched it and decided to blog about it.

Many of you may know, or maybe you don't, about the genocide in Darfur. What I gathered is that Darfur is a state within the country of Sudan. If I'm wrong, please feel free to comment. While I am not completely familiar with what is happening over there, I do occasionally hear little tidbits about it. Hmm, George Clooney made a video about it, and genocide. So that much I knew in a nutshell. Pretty bad huh.

Now maybe parties in power are just trying to pull the wool over our eyes, but I'd assumed that what was happening over there was similar with the genocide that happened in Rwanda. That was where one tribe decided it was superior over another tribe and wanted to eliminate them.
Maybe that was an excuse for the Sudanese government to kick the people out of Darfur, but Vice believes it is all about the discovery of oil.

It is very dangerous in Sudan to be yielding a camera. The staff at Vice were almost throw in jail a couple of times, and were lucky to get out of there with their cameras in tact. They (I don't know if this includes the government, oil companies, or both) just don't want the world to know what is going on. At least, that is how I interpreted it.

The oil companies come from China, India, and Indonesia (probably other countries) literally take all the profit. Another state (or city) where oil is being drilled is very impoverished. They don't see hardly any profit (if at all) from the oil that is being drilled. What is happening in Darfur is similar to what happened in another Sudanese state. Oil was discovered and a military group came in and forced all the people out.

Now I wouldn't call myself an expert after one documentary, so I am going to try to get some books at the library. Keep a look out for future posts about Darfur. Oh, and go check out Vice's Documentary. The link is above.

Please feel free to visit Maw Books and post a comment on any of Natasha's posts throughout the month of September. Every time you do, she will donate money for Darfur. The button is on my sidebar.

0 Comments: