October 8, 2008

Marching Band Memoirs


Thundering reverb
Deft, uniformed players tread
Wielding brass and winds



Explanation: I marched in band for 8 years. Call me a band geek. I went to a marching band competition this past evening, and it really felt like going back to a place that was such a big part of my life that I've missed. So I wrote this haiku, and realized 17 syllables is hardly enough to encompass everything that marching band is to me. So I tried to include everything that makes up a band. Thundering reverb=percussion (that's drumline and pit), Brass=duh, Winds=woodwinds, and uniformed players has to include colorguard too. Sorry I couldn't fit in flags, rifles or dancing in there anywhere. Hmm, maybe I should do a colorguard haiku.

P.S. I play the Baritone. No, not a Bari Sax, a Baritone Horn, otherwise known (to me) as the mini tuba.

Photo Link

0 Comments: