January 20, 2009

Book Review - The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
The Host starts out when a soul named Wanderer is inserted into human Melanie Stryder's body. At this point the Souls have taken over planet Earth and eradicated most of the humans - their minds that is. The Souls need a host body to exist. Before they could completely take over, however, the humans had started to figure out what was happening. There are still groups of humans hidden and trying to survive.



When Melanie is caught she isn't giving up without a fight. Her mind is still alive and refuses to go away. Wanderer struggles constantly with trying to gain control. Wanderer also struggles with Melanie's memories and human emotions. Wanderer's mind is flooded with thoughts of Melanie's boyfriend, Jared, and finds herself falling in love with him too. Melanie is desperate to keep Wanderer from finding the other humans. Wanderer's job is to inform to the Seekers (the ones charged with seeking out the remaining humans) if she has any memories of other humans in hiding. The problem is, Melanie is also worried about her younger brother Jaime and wants to find him to make sure he is alright. Melanie lets Wanderer in on some of her memories to help find Jaime. Together they start hunting for the other humans with the Seeker hot on their trails.



They find the humans, but Melanie's hopes are crushed when Jared and most of the other humans want to kill her. They know she has an alien soul in her body, but don't know that her mind is still intact.



Most of this book shows Wanderer's and Melanie's struggles with gaining acceptance with the humans and getting used to each other. There is also the struggle with Wanderer thinking she is in love with Jared. Although, the love story occupies little of the main plot. Also, you can't forget that the Seeker is still looking for them. It is mostly a story about survival, acceptance, and what it means to be human.



I really liked this book. At first it was hard to get into, and maybe a little confusing until you figure everything out. I loved a lot of the characters. My favorites are Jeb, Jaime, and Ian. I have to admit I spent most of this book hating Jared and being annoyed with Melanie and Wanderer in parts, but I think by the end of the book I started to like them more. I really enjoyed the ending of the book as well.




View all my reviews.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time with the middle part of this book. It bored me until it really got going. Overall, I liked it. My husband and MIL both didn't like it. Too boring for one and too much like star trek for the other.

Haiku Amy said...

Natasha-
I had a hard time getting through it as well. To me it didn't capture my attention a well as Meyer's other books did. I still am wondering why I gave it a five star rating, but I decided not to change the rating since that was my initial feeling after having read it. I also thought she played up the romance more for publicity when it wasn't as prevalent in the plot. Still, I am a loyal fan to Stephenie, and I did like it despite its downfalls. I tend to feel the same way about Breaking Dawn.