February 9, 2010

Hello I'ts Me - Reading Journal December '09 & January '10

You're all probably wondering, "Where in the Heck (yes I said Heck) did Haiku Amy go?" Well, I'm here to tell ya. I sat around my house, mostly being lazy, not doing much of anything. That includes reading.

So I am ashamed that I forgot about my reading journals. So here is a catch up Reading Journal.
December
To the best of my recollection I read:

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

  • Here is a quick synopsis of the book. It was dreadfully boring. The main character, whose name I have already forgotten, didn't have much of a spine to begin with. Then she got herself into trouble more often than not by imagining some pretty outlandish things about some of the other characters. She turned out to be a terrible judge of character, but in the end things turned out pretty well for her anyway. The End.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling.
  • This was a re-read for the Harry Potter Challenge over on Galleysmith. I am starting this challenge a little late. I am supposed to have read all the Potter books by July. Anyway, here are my thoughts about Sorcerer's Stone. I didn't write down page numbers so I can't give you a specific quote. 
  • I found it interesting that Harry mentions that it felt like Snape somehow knew Harry wasn't telling the truth about something like Snape could read Harry's mind. I found this bit of info interesting as we know Snape is a gifted Legilimens (is that how you spell it?). Snape has the ability to invade people's thoughts to know if they are telling the truth. It is kind of funny that we get this hint about Snape even before we know he has this ability. Also Harry reiterates this clue in the second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  
  • The second thought I had about this book involves the Bloody Baron (Slytherin's House Ghost). It describes the Bloody Baron as being covered in silver blood. The books never clue the reader into how the Bloody Baron died or what the blood is. So I was wondering if the blood was silver because he is a ghost and he just naturally looks translucent or silvery, or is the blood silver because it is actully unicorn blood! I don't know the answer to this question. I could just be going off on a limb here. Perhaps J.K. Rowling has answered this very question, but as I have not done any internet research to verify my suspicions, I'll just have to wonder.

January
I read a few more books in January. I'll try to remember all of them.

Crossfire by Traci Hunter Abramson.
  • The CIA and Navy SEALS team up to take down a drug trafficer and a terrorist. An old love interest is rekindled.
Altered State by Gregg Luke.
  • A drug company is doing unauthorized testing on a group of students at USU. The drug focuses on total mind control, but the experiment is becoming more and more deadly as it goes along. A professor at the University is working hard to figure out the group trances that are resulting in student injury on campus, and one mystery suicide may be linked.
Dusty Britches by Marcia Lynn McClure.
  • Angelina Hunter must learn to trust again when the cowboy she fell in love with at 14 comes back to work for her father as a ranch hand.
Heavenly Surrender by Marcia Lynn McClure.
  • Brevin McClean marries a mail order bride in order to have someone to help out around his farm. He never planned on being attracted to her.
Dead Wrong by Clair Poulson.
  • Kaitlyn Glenn is disowned by her family when she joins the LDS church. She becomes a barrel racer and is leading a successful career on her own, but can't shake an abusive ex-boyfriend. She must run for her life as he pursues her with intent to marry her or kill her. It gets even harder to evade him when he hires a private investigator to track her down. He isn't the only one trying to find her though. Her step-brother is determined to have her trust fund left to her by her father.

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll get back to the internet more often in the future.
Photobucket

1 Comments:

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Welcome back! I joined the HP challenge last year and haven't started reading yet. You are not so behind there.