May 2, 2010

Family History

I wanted to share a little bit about myself, because I felt like I needed to blog about something.

The other night I attended an event called "A Celebration of Family History". It was at the LDS Conference Center in SLC. I am LDS, as I am sure some of you know. Anyway, the main speaker at the event was David McCullough, author of 1776 and other historical nonfiction. Now I have never read any of his books, but let me tell you, he was a very riveting speaker. He talked of people in our American history that had incredible stories, and how these people are now mostly forgotten. He emphasized the importance of getting to know our history and how we can be inspired by people from the past.

As part of the program, there was also a very funny and touching movie clip about a boy who wanted to learn the bagpipes, and how his family got very interested in their Scottish heritage. The even more amazing part was that very man was there and played his bagpipes in a musical number with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra.

It was a very amazing night, and it just reiterated to me the importance of family history.

Now the tie in for today: I was reading my mom's blog where she has been sharing letters written by my Grandpa. A letter I read today relayed how much my Grandpa loved to read. I thought to myself, that is obviously a trait I inherited from him and my Grandma, who I remembered as always reading a book in the hot tub where we had a family cabin. It has been very interesting learning things about my Grandpa in his younger life. My Grandpa was a proficient letter writer, and even wrote letters to me when I was young.

Well, I have to get off now, because my hubby needs his computer. I am glad I was able to share a little about me, and I hope everyone is inspired to take some time to discover something about your heritage.

Photobucket

2 Comments:

Rebecca Reid said...

Actually David McCullough writes nonfiction, not novels, but the two or three I've read are just wonderfully done, it's like a novel (kind of).

How fun to have a letter writing tradition! That is something that has been lost in this day and age...

Haiku Amy said...

Thanks Rebecca! You see how little I know? Well, at any rate, I am sure his books are just as interesting as a historical fiction.