Just a few books that I can remember reading in July:
- Gone by Michael Grant - This is what happens when everyone over the age of 15 disappears. This book was long. I thought it would have a definitive ending, but apparently it is part of a 6 book series. I am debating on continuing on. It was definitely action packed. A bit like Lord of the Flies, if you ask me.
- Spells by Aprilynne Pike (Wings book #2) - This was a great second in the series. It will be a long wait for the third. Thankfully there are always good books to fill the void.
- Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan (Ranger's Apprentice #7) - This is a backtrack from books 5 and 6. It tells the events leading up to Will earning his silver oakleaf. Let's just say that I could really empathize the time spent in the sweltering heat and sand when I went camping at Lake Powell a week after reading this book. I got my minivan stuck in the sand. It was a nightmare.
- The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (um, I didn't finish this, the language was horrible) - This book actually had two separate stories. One was, I gathered, a murder mystery involving a polygamist family. The other was a story of Brigham Young's 19th wife, Ann Eliza Young. I didn't read the murder mystery story past the first chapter, because the language was so filthy I couldn't stand it. I thought the Ann Eliza stuff was interesting, so I read all those bits. Then I figured out at the end, that those parts were fiction as well (however, based on historical people and events). Sadly, I kind of wished I hadn't wasted my time on that one.
- The Dark Divine by Bree Despain - This was a pretty intriguing book. It has some paranormal, a little romance, and a lot of mystery. The ending was pretty surprising too. All in all, I thought it was great. I will be waiting for the second book.
Summer heat and sun
Endless day, forever play
School will soon begin