September 8, 2010

Reading Journal - August 2010

The exciting books I read in August 2010 are as follows:

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. This book was, in a word, EPIC! There is a lot of debate about the ending to The Hunger Games trilogy. I think overall I was o.k. with the way things ended up. That's not to say I didn't have my problems with it, but the events were believable. Let's just face it, this trilogy is about war, and war is ugly. To read all about people's thoughts on Mockingjay, visit the Mockingjay discussion post over at Maw Books. P.S. That post includes spoilers, so only visit if you have read the book.

The Kings of Clonmel by John Flanagan. This is Ranger's Apprentice book #8. I just never get tired of these Ranger's Apprentice books. They are always action packed, and those Ranger's are pretty inventive. It's amazing the pickles they can get themselves out of. I am already on the waiting list for Halt's Peril, Ranger's Apprentice #9.

A Crimson Frost by Marcia Lynn McClure. This is a sweet little romance about a Princess and the King's first knight who have to go into hiding while their kingdom is at war. I rather liked it, but it is no secret that McClure is one of my favorite romance authors.

Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely #4) by Melissa Marr. I liked this one. I didn't know if I would like it as much as books 1 and 3, because the story focuses on the characters of the Dark Court and the High Court. My favorite court has always been Summer court. I was happily surprised to find that I enjoyed this one. I really like Ani's character, and was surprised by the outcome.

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder. I loved Snyder's Study and Glass trilogies. I knew Inside Out was going to be more dystopian in nature, so I wasn't sure if I would like it. To my surprise I didn't like it, I loved it. I honestly couldn't put this book down. It is about a girl named Trella who is a scrub (meaning she lives in the lower levels). The scrub's main purpose in life is to clean and provide for the Uppers. Trella is small, so her job is to clean the pipes. She is also known as Queen of the Pipes, because she has spent so much time exploring them. It is probably for this reason she ends up starting a rebellion. If you haven't read this book, then go get it right now...seriously run, don't walk.

Re-read: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I thought I would refresh my memory in preparation for Mockingjay.

I think that is all. As always, my memory fails me. I think that is a pretty healthy list for a month's reading (at least for me) so I don't believe I've left anything out. When I wasn't reading I was catching up on last season's Glee. I can't wait for Season 2. Any Glee fans out there?

Photobucket

0 Comments: