August 20, 2009

Playaway Audio books

I just found out about a new format for audio books. I might be the last one in the world to have heard of them, but I was pretty excited. They are called Playaways. They are basically audio books on their own little MP3 players. My mom checked one out at the library. It is so simple to use, because there is no downloading, syncing, or anything like that. Read more about them on the Playaway website. The only con I noticed is they are extremely expensive. They range in price anywhere from $40 to over $200 for some. I don't know about any of you, but I definitely can't afford that.

Fortunately, Playaway partners with another site called Simply Audiobooks that does rentals similar to that of Netflix. You can pay a monthly fee for between 1 and 3 playaways at a time. When you are done with one you simply mail it back and they will send you then next available book in your queue list.

If that is still too pricey, you can always check your local library for their selection. Anyway, I just wanted to share with everyone about Playaways, because I think they are really cool. What do you think? Have you ever tried a Playaway?

Photobucket

5 Comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

It's so funny that you posted about this. I just saw my first playaway at the library. I had never seen them before. It's a really cool concept. I don't have a player so it sound like exactly what I would need.

Katrina said...

I love audio books
Come pick up your award
http://trinsnook.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-made-this-award-so-that-i-can-share.html

Rebecca Reid said...

Our library has gotten these, but I admit I never understood them. I have a player that I use, with a headset via bluetooth. Even with CD audiobooks, I upload them to my computer so I can listen via my player.

But this does help clarify it: they're for those without players! Interesting.

Barbara said...

I've checked out a few at my library and they are pretty cool. They are way better than books on CD because you can listen to them anywhere you go and you can adjust the speed so you can listen to the book more quickly. I just wish our library had more of a selection. Oh well.

Sharon said...

Thanks! I've been curious if people really like the playaways. I'll have to try one out.