August 17, 2009

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Poison Study (Study, #1)
Rating: 5 of 5
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy


Poison Study
by Maria V. Snyder was a book that I had been wanting to read for awhile. I had read many great reviews for this book and it's sequels. I must say I was not disappointed. At first I was slightly taken aback, because the book started out being completely different than I expected. What I thought it would be like was a girl in school studying poisons or something like that. What it actually ended up being about was a girl named Yelena who was going to be executed for committing murder. On the day of her execution she was given a choice to become the Commander's food taster or to be executed. She of course chose to be the food taster, which meant she then had to learn all about poisons. As if the chance of death by poison wasn't enough, she also had to deal with some unwanted death threats from other sources - one being the father of the man she killed. Fortunately for Yelena, she has some allies on her side.

This book was very intense with plenty of intrigue and surprises. I highly recommend it!!

3 Comments:

Heidenkind said...

I really loved this book, too. It was so hard to put down and I ended up really loving the main characters. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I've become a Snyder addict. Loved this series, dying to get to the next one.

Haiku Amy said...

So far I've read "Storm Glass". I can't wait for the next one.