October 1, 2010

Reading Journal - September 2010

It was a slim month. I read a total of 3 books and 1 graphic novel. They are as follows.

It Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather B. Armstrong

  • Heather is the blogger of Dooce.com. This book is the story of her pregnancy, birth, and getting over postpartum depression. It was pretty humorous, and I think anyone who has ever been pregnant can relate to this book. It does have a bit of language and some parts that are...how do I say this..brutally honest about anything to do with body parts and bodily functions.  Those are some of the funniest parts I think, but just not stuff you would normally talk about with anyone but your bff. I think it is a worthy read.
Scout, Atticus, and Boo: A Celebration of 50 Yrs of To Kill a Mockingbird by Mary McDonagh Murphy
  • This is a collection of interviews and thoughts on the novel To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. 
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • I thought I would read this for the 50th anniversary. I did read it in high school, but honestly didn't remember much from that reading. I rather liked it, and of course my favorite character was Scout. If you don't know anything about To Kill a Mockingbird, here is the description from Goodreads.

Lawyer Atticus Finch defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic, Puliter Prize-winning novella, a black man charged with the rape of a white woman. Through the eyes of Atticus's children, Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unanswering honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s.


Calamity Jack by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale, Illustrated by Nathan Hale
  • This was a nice sequel to Rapunzel's Revenge. It shows about Jack's troublesome past in the city and how he ends up in the west. See what happens to Jack's city when he returns to help his mother.


Photobucket

0 Comments: